With the 3 bananas sitting on my counter slowly heading on their way out, I decided to make a loaf of homemade banana bread. I also wanted to mix it up a bit in hopes of enticing my kids to eat it too! Homemade from scratch, with simple ingredients and only natural sugars (which can be reduced!), this is such a quick and easy recipe. You would never know that this banana bread has no added sugars, because it tastes so delicious!
- 3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup of honey
- 1/3 cup of unsweetened applesauce
- 2 egg whites
- 3/4 tsp of salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup chocolate chunks or chips
- 1 small apple, quartered, skinned, cored, and diced into small pieces.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a standard loaf pan.
- In a large mixing bowl mash the bananas with a fork. Mix in honey, applesauce, egg whites, coconut oil, and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, mix the whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Slowly fold this into the other bowl, with the banana/applesauce mixture, until well combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips and diced apples.
- Pour batter into greased loaf pan and loosely cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove aluminum foil and bake for another 10-15 minutes, until a butter knife come out clean when inserted in the center.
- Let it stand for about 20 minutes, to allow it to completely cool down, before you slice and serve.
Tips & Tricks:
- Add walnuts for a healthy crunch.
- Out of honey? Substitute maple syrup or agave nectar.
- Add orange zest to the batter for added flavor.
- Reduce fruit portions or use unsweetened chocolate to reduce the overall sugar content.
- Top with whipped cream cheese or cool whip.
- Use a muffin tin instead of a loaf pan for easier serving and storing.
This bread was a hit! It’s delicious and has an amazing gooey texture. It’s a great, healthy, and easy- to-make dessert for the entire family or if you’re expecting a crowd. We will definitely be making this again.